Job Title: Social Services Assistant
Job Category: Non-Exempt
Department/Report to: Social Services/Social Services Coordinator
Travel Required: None
Location: 1426 6th Ave Des Moines, IA 50314
Work Hours: 8:30 am – 5 pm
Level/Salary Range: $9.00-$14.00
Position Type: Full-Time/Part-Time
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Social Services Assistant is responsible for the daily operations of all St. Vincent de Paul Des Moines social services department. They administer programs, and are often involved in researching and analyzing community needs, and designing programs to meet those needs. The Social Service Assistant works directly with clients, providing services and support. The Social Services Assistant must develop a complete understanding of all St. Vincent de Paul Des Moines programs and services and have a strong drive to exceed established targets.
- Ensure that all performance standards are maintained by making sure that all company policies and procedures are followed and immediate action is taken to address deficiencies
- Consistently maintain all social services locations as safe, respectful and pleasant environments in which employees work effectively and clients appreciate services
- Collect data and other information to evaluate program impact
- Implement procedures and strategies to improve the overall performance at St. Vincent de Paul Des Moines
- Acquire knowledge of city, county and state resources available
- Effectively communicate with employees of all levels
- Enhance the client interaction and experience with all St. Vincent de Paul Des Moines service locations, staff and entities
- Interview clients applying for financial assistance, rent, utilities, etc.
- Enter intake material from Social Services on a daily basis
- Do conference billing monthly and keep record of activity on each conference
- Fill out appropriate charity forms and reports in a timely manner
- Treat all telephone and personal contacts with dignity and respect
- Keep all information on clients, Vincentians and others confidential.
- Make referrals to General Relief for vouchers for beds and other agencies for needed items
- Communicate with conferences on a regular basis to establish home visit schedules or list of home visit providers for the conferences
- Recommend budget counseling when deemed appropriate
- Make referrals to conferences for assistance for home visits
- Ensure compliance with all federal, state, and local laws
- Other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
- Associates Degree in Human Services or related field or equivalent work experience
- Must possess and consistently demonstrate the ability and willingness to utilize excellent customer service skills
- On-time and consistent attendance and punctuality
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret documents relating to store operations and sales
- Ability to follow instructions, adhere to policy, and make basic decisions
- 1 year experience in related field
- Ability to perform basic mathematical equations is preferred
- Customer orientation and ability to adapt/respond to different types of characters
Work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop; kneel; crouch or crawl; talk or hear. The employee must frequently lift up to 50 pounds
and/or move up to 50 or more pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.