The Society of St. Vincent de Paul is a faith-based, locally operated non-profit created to serve all people in need, and to help our donors make positive impacts on their community.
St. Vincent de Paul provides a simple, powerful, and highly personal approach to gift giving. We offer a variety of giving tools to help people achieve their charitable goals. You can give cash, appreciated stocks, real estate, or other assets.
Most charitable gifts qualify for maximum tax advantage under federal law. For more information and ideas on ways to integrate your financial planning with charitable giving, ask your financial advisor.
Three special features of gift giving to the Society of St. Vincent de Paul:
- Personalized service. We make giving easy and effective, accepting a wide variety of gifts and providing donors a number of charitable options. You can contribute cash, stocks, property, and bequests. You may establish a fund in your name or in the name of a loved one.
- Local involvement. Our professional staff has an in-depth understanding of the issues, opportunities, and resources that shape our community. They monitor all areas of community need and help those with services including human and social services, education and training development, food, furniture, rent and utility assistance. Operation Santa Claus helps local families who need toys at Christmas time along with food baskets at the holidays. St. Vincent de Paul works as a partner with community shelters in need of furniture and linens. We can help you learn more about our local organization and programs that make a difference in areas that you care about most.
- Community leadership. St. Vincent de Paul invests in the long-term and brings people and organizations together, convening diverse voices to address local concerns and opportunities. Our business is building a platform of care, hope and stability for the people of Iowa.
Each individual, family, or organization we work with has unique charitable interests… and unique financial circumstances. We help you make the most of both, so you receive the greatest return on your community investment.
- Outright Gift. You can make a gift of cash, stocks, bonds, real estate, or other assets to your community foundation. Your charitable gift qualifies for tax advantage under federal law.
- Bequest by Will. You can designate a gift or portion of your estate to your community foundation and, in some cases, receive a substantial reduction in federal gift and estate taxes.
- Charitable Gift Annuity. You can make a gift of cash or property to your community foundation now, get immediate tax benefits, and ensure that you or a loved one receive fixed quarterly or annual income payments for life.
- Charitable Remainder Trust. You can place cash or property in a trust that pays annual income to you (or another named beneficiary) for life. After your death, the remainder of the trust transfers to your community foundation and is placed into a charitable fund you have selected. You receive income tax benefits the year you establish your trust.
Our organization is recognized by the IRS as a non-profit charitable organization (NCO) under the provisions of Section 501(c)(3) of the federal tax code. All donations and contributions are considered tax-deductible.
Pledges and Financial Contributions
Pledges and tax exempt monetary contributions can be made by mail to the Des Moines Council, Society of St. Vincent de Paul, at:
Attn: Executive Director
1426 6th Avenue, Des Moines 50314-2801
If you have specific questions please call us at 515-282-8327.
Vehicle Donation Program
1. Fill out an on-line form on our national website at http://www.svdpusa.org or call 800-322-8284, available 24 hours/day, 7 days/week. It takes just a few minutes.
2. We’ll have the vehicle picked up within 24 hours.
3. We’ll fill out all the tax-exempt forms and send to you.