The Society of St. Vincent de Paul is a faith-based, locally operated non-profit created to serve all people in need, and to help our donors make positive impacts on their community.
St. Vincent de Paul provides a simple, powerful, and highly personal approach to gift giving. We offer a variety of giving tools to help people achieve their charitable goals. You can give cash, appreciated stocks, real estate, or other assets.
Most charitable gifts qualify for maximum tax advantage under federal law. For more information and ideas on ways to integrate your financial planning with charitable giving, ask your financial advisor.
Three special features of gift giving to the Society of St. Vincent de Paul:
- Personalized service. We make giving easy and effective, accepting a wide variety of gifts and providing donors a number of charitable options. You can contribute cash, stocks, property, and bequests. You may establish a fund in your name or in the name of a loved one.
- Local involvement. Our professional staff has an in-depth understanding of the issues, opportunities, and resources that shape our community. They monitor all areas of community need and help those with services including human and social services, education and training development, food, furniture, rent and utility assistance. Operation Santa Claus helps local families who need toys at Christmas time along with food baskets at the holidays. St. Vincent de Paul works as a partner with community shelters in need of furniture and linens. We can help you learn more about our local organization and programs that make a difference in areas that you care about most.
- Community leadership. St. Vincent de Paul invests in the long-term and brings people and organizations together, convening diverse voices to address local concerns and opportunities. Our business is building a platform of care, hope and stability for the people of Iowa.
Each individual, family, or organization we work with has unique charitable interests… and unique financial circumstances. We help you make the most of both, so you receive the greatest return on your community investment.
- Outright Gift. You can make a gift of cash, stocks, bonds, real estate, or other assets to your community foundation. Your charitable gift qualifies for tax advantage under federal law.
- Bequest by Will. You can designate a gift or portion of your estate to your community foundation and, in some cases, receive a substantial reduction in federal gift and estate taxes.
- Charitable Gift Annuity. You can make a gift of cash or property to your community foundation now, get immediate tax benefits, and ensure that you or a loved one receive fixed quarterly or annual income payments for life.
- Charitable Remainder Trust. You can place cash or property in a trust that pays annual income to you (or another named beneficiary) for life. After your death, the remainder of the trust transfers to your community foundation and is placed into a charitable fund you have selected. You receive income tax benefits the year you establish your trust.
- Charitable Lead Trust. You can place cash or property into a trust that pays a fixed amount to your community foundation for the number of years you select. Once this period ends, the assets held by the trust are transferred to the beneficiaries you name. In some cases, you receive a substantial reduction in federal gift and estate taxes.
Our organization is recognized by the IRS as a non-profit charitable organization (NCO) under the provisions of Section 501(c)(3) of the federal tax code. All donations and contributions are considered tax-deductible.
Your donations help people in the greater Des Moines community with food and shelter, utilities and rent assistance, educational and job training assistance and other urgent needs.
NEW!: We now accept major appliance donations in good working condition.
Donations of furniture, clothing, household and other miscellaneous items, as well as food/bread donations, can be made at 1426 Sixth Avenue between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Saturday.
Pick up of donations are done by zip codes on the following days:
- Monday: 50111, 50325, 50324, 50323, 50322, and 50131
- Tuesday: 50312, 50311, 50310, and 50309
- Wednesday: 50035, 50327, 50226, 50317, 50316, 50314, 50313, 50021, 50023 and 50009
- Thursday: 50266, 50265 and 50263
- Friday: 50321, 50320, 50315, 50211, 50125, 50061 and 50047
No pick ups are made on Saturdays or holidays.
We would appreciate it, especially if the donation is small, that you bring it in to our drop off location:
1426 Sixth Avenue, Des Moines.
Items we are not able to accept include: computers, printers, entertainment centers, exercise equipment, medical equipment, televisions that are older than five years old or consoles models or non-working, pianos, organs, water beds, metal desks, car seats and strollers, furniture that is torn, stained or in need of repair, and home improvement items.
Pledges and Monetary Contributions
Pledges and tax exempt monetary contributions can be made by mail to the Des Moines Council, Society of St. Vincent de Paul, at:
1426 Sixth Avenue
Des Moines, 50314
Vehicle Donation Program
1. Fill out an on-line form on our national website at http://www.svdpusa.org or call 800-322-8284, available 24 hours/day, 7 days/week. It takes just a few minutes.
2. We’ll have the vehicle picked up within 24 hours.
3. We’ll fill out all the tax-exempt forms and send to you.