Appointments for financial assistance are available Monday through Friday for those who have gotten behind on their electric bills or current month’s rent.
People seeking financial assistance:
- MUST schedule an appointment in person at 8:00 a.m. Monday through Friday at 1426 Sixth Ave., Des Moines, in order to meet a social services staff member on the same day. (Please arrive by 7:50 a.m.)
- MUST have been to the Polk County General Relief Office first and have your letter of approval or denial in hand.
- Need to bring social security cards for everyone living in the household
- Need to present a photo ID.
- If applying for rental assistance, MUST have a letter from the landlord stating that last month’s rent has been paid in full.
- Must document income, expenses and verifications.
- May be eligible for financial assistance every six months based on SVdP Social Services screening.
We are unable to assist with:
- Utilities bills over $700.00.
- First month’s rent or deposit.
- Transitional housing or motels.
- Bus tickets.
- Late fees.
To make an appointment, please contact our Social Services Department by calling 282-8327.